Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Advice I probably got but didn't listen to...

So tonight after catching up with a friend of mine that is newly pregnant I couldn't help but reminisce about just over a year ago when that was me with a baby bump & a bella band. She was asking me for some motherly advice for after her baby arrives and I couldn't help but laugh...I remember how perfect I imagined everything would be after the my baby came, how wrong was I!

Don't get me wrong, now that my beautiful little boy is here, he is the light of mine & Ryan's life and things couldn't get any better. BUT, my idea of "perfect" has changed drastically. Throughout the past year I learned a lot about myself, my husband, motherhood, and how to just let things go. Which is something I have always struggled with.

So to all you mommies-to-be here is something to keep in mind while you're awaiting your bundle of joy, many of which I had to learn the hard way..

-The laundry can ALWAYS wait. 
I know, I know..those stacks of whites and darks seem to stare at you until they are folded and put away but trust me on this..you're gonna need a few of those towels to wipe up this-or-that before the day is said and done.
-Your hair will be jacked up sometimes.
You will go from trying to decide if you want to wear your hair curly or straight to deciding if you have time to wear it wet or dry. It's just how it is.
-You will see everyone you know at Wal-Mart & you will have on no makeup. 
As much as you would love to keep the glow of pregnancy lingering long into motherhood, Mother Nature just doesn't work like that and this will happen to you. I know you want everyone to think "Wow, she just had a baby and looks fabulous" and yes that will happen too. However, on Tuesday morning when you're out of formula and your baby is hysterical you WILL look a hot mess and there will be witnesses.
-Housework is for the birds.
It's going to be messy. After a long day of changing diapers, feedings and possibly work/school, you just ain't got time for that and neither do I. Nope.
-Losing the weight is HARD unless you're a freak, and in that case, shut up.
Do not get down on your self if that weight doesn't come off instantly (I'm still trying to lose mine). And don't starve yourself..with a newborn, some days require a pint of Ben & Jerry's. You will get there.
-Your husband/fiance/boyfriend is going to get on your damn nerves.
Y'all don't even lie! It's hard not to want to be "the perfect couple", but with a baby things can easily get frustrating. There will be times when you want to yell, hit and claw his eyes out..just step away and remind yourself of why you got with his cute butt in the first place. Then call your best friend and tell her all about it ;)
-Your kid does not always have to look straight out of an ad from Baby Gap.
Of course when you're pregnant you dream of dressing your kid in all this adorable little get-ups but trust me, the bank and the doctor's office do not care about that fifty dollar polo shirt your baby has on. It is OK, save those outfits for a special day. Trust me, that baby wont hold it against you.
-Socks aren't meant for matching.
You will probably never find the mate to that one black sock but relax...black and white is in for spring ;)
-Crock pots are God's (..or Hamilton Beach's) gift to mamas.
Throw some crap in there, leave, come back, it's done. Doesn't get much better than that, ladies.
-Heels.
Unless you are one of those freaks again, don't try to wear heels while carrying a car seat & a diaper bag. You will look more wobbly legged than a baby giraffe.
-Don't try too hard to impress ANYONE.
You will be exhausted enough already. Plus, you are the perfect mommy in that babies eyes so who cares what anyone else thinks.
-Remember to breathe.
Sometimes we feel bad for having to step away. Don't. It is a necessity for your sanity and everyone else's. Take deep breaths and come back when your lid has tightened back up.
And Last..
-Enjoy every single moment.

These are moments we will cherish forever. Take a gazillion pictures. Record as much as you can. Do ridiculous things to make your baby smile and laugh because there is nothing in the world that compares. Kiss your husband, often. Hold hands. Dance in the living room and have a movie night. Don't be afraid to look a mess because it's gonna happen, own it. Play chase and have a thousand tickle fights. Peek-a-Boo is a must. Make giant messes. Always give hugs. And most importantly, love each other so much you can't stand it.


This may not help or be of any interest to any of you..but I sure wish someone would have told me. Maybe they did but I sure didn't listen. Just know that you will be the most perfect mama for your family and there is NO right way to do things. Don't exhaust yourself with the details. Just go with it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment